Pidgin is now becoming the popular choice for a multi-protocol messenger where in you can connect to different networks that include Google Talk, Yahoo, etc.
Pidgin, by default, does not notify you when a buddy comes online. But you can activate that feature. It’s known as Buddy Pounce on Pidgin. Here’s how:
- First, login to your configured Pidgin account
- Right click on a friend’s name, click Add Buddy Pounce
- A window will pop-up asking you to configure alerts. You can use the available options to get notifications when a buddy comes online, signs out, goes idle, stops typing, starts typing (!), etc. Just check the required.
- You can now set what happens when the selected action occurs.
- Pidgin can open a chat window, play a sound, just pop up a notification, send a message to the person, or even execute a command when the selected event occurs.
It’s as easy as that.